Youth Basketball Registration Deadline: November 30th
In 1892, Streator businessmen formed the first YMCA in Streator. The YMCA was houses in the Zwang building and the first President (now termed Executive Director) was W.S. McCullough.
In 1896, the YMCA reported only 15 persons using the facility, 150 volumes of books in the Y library, eight persons on the Debating Society, and they honored unexpired memberships of persons moving into Streator from other YMCA’s.
In 1908, The YMCA disbanded and re-incorporated on June 10, 1914.
A new building was building in November of 1914 due to a large gift from Marietta Reeves. The cost of the building was $80,000.
In 1923, the Streator Y won the state volleyball championship.
In February of 1936, smoking was still allowed in the YMCA lobby.
In 1950, the YM/YWCA allowed both men and women as members. The Streator YMCA board consisted of 18 members; 12 male and 6 female.
In 1974, a new building campaign begins. In 1975, $875,000 is donated or pledged to the new building fund.
In 1975, Tot Lot was founded.
In 1976, the ground was broken on a new building on 10 Oakley Avenue. The land was donated by Mr. & Mrs. John Prafcke.
In May of 1978, the new building was opened to the public.
In 1979, a capital campaign raised $740,000 to build additional racquetball courts.
In 1991, the Y’s Men’s Club (Male version of our current Women’s Board) held a book sale as a fundraiser for the YMCA.
In 1992, an indoor golf room was built in the basement.
In 1993, Ralph Sterrett was hired as Executive Director and immediately went into a capital campaign in 1994 which raised $664,000 with the first priority of putting a new roof on the building. In addition, $120,000 of the mortgage was paid off and a new glass wall for the middle racquetball court was added for squash players.
In 1997, Y-Alive began as a huge program based around helping to give children something to do on the weekend nights.
In 2008, a capital campaign was started to renovate large portion of the building. The campaign attained $440,000 in pledges and donations.
In late 2011, Ralph Sterrett retired after 18 years of service and Josh Biros was hired as the new CEO.
In January of 2012, the Streator YMCA pool was renovated to comply with the Virginia Graham Baker Act which called for all pools to install specific drains in their pools for safety. The pool reopened on April 9, 2012 as new filters were replaced along with the drains and additional repairs were needed due to large cracks in the foundation.
In 2013, the YMCA installed a new handicapped accessible bathroom in the basement to help wellness area patrons as well as the childcare program.
In 2015, racquetball was discontinued. Two courts were converted into a 40x40 multipurpose room with two basketball hoops and a climbing wall for children.
In 2015, we procured 3 large donations to completely update our locker rooms. The project took over 4 months and included top to bottom updates of the areas.
In 2016, we complete resurfaced our 40 year old pool surface with a new, water proof membrane system.
In 2017, we received a $1,000,000 grant through OSF Healthcare to go towards a building addition aiding in better health and wellness for our community.